At the beginning of our country, all you had to do to prove you were a citizen was to swear to it. Word of honor was enough. Neither the states nor the central government recorded or tracked births. Then it required an oath. Then a court. And a witness. Then it went too far, with intelligence tests and poll taxes. Rules and laws were used to manipulate elections instead of protecting our suffrage rights. In the past year, we have seen a major return to such voter suppression.
“Nothing is more certain than the indispensable necessity of government, and it is equally undeniable, that whenever and however it is instituted, the people must cede to it some of their natural rights in order to vest it with requisite powers.”
The goal is to protect the most rights while ceding the least. Given the scarcity of fraud and the large number of disenfranchised, the voter ID laws are the embodiment of bad government.
Promoted as a way to protect the integrity of the election process, they accomplish the opposite. They are designed and intended to disenfranchise voters who are not likely to vote for conservatives.
In short, voter ID laws create the very problem they profess to fix – the manipulation of elections – and they do it deliberately. And with extreme partisanship.
- South Carolina Voter ID Law: Justice Department Blocks Controversial Legislation (huffingtonpost.com)
- Justice Department blocks South Carolina’s voter ID requirements (dailykos.com)
- Justice Dept. rejects South Carolina voter ID law, calling it discriminatory – Washington Post (washingtonpost.com)
- South Carolina voter ID law rejected by Justice Department (mercurynews.com)
- Justice Department Blocks New S.C. Voting ID Law (npr.org)
- Justice Dept. rejects South Carolina voter-ID law – USA TODAY (content.usatoday.com)
More lies and fear-mongering. What a surprise.
Worried about democracy? Check out the flood of voter disenfranchisement laws written by republicans under the banner of “voter ID”. Check out their economic assault on possible liberals – like unions, the poor, and seniors. Their goal is to eliminate the Democrats as a viable alternative by crippling their funding sources.
But the worst may be the “Emergency Financial Manager” laws. If you really want to know who threatens democracy, ask the residents of Benton Harbor Michigan, who have already had their elected officials removed from power.
The republican assault on democracy is far more organized, deliberate, and immediate than any hypothetical future loss.
Read the Article at HuffingtonPost